Superb Sykes swims to double-digit medal haul!
Pickering Swim Club’s Benji Sykes won 10 medals with an extraordinary performance at the 2018 Mallards Long Course Challenge, held April 6-8 at the Markham Pan Am Pool.
Racing in the Boys 12 category, Benji continued his remarkable season at the Mallards meet by landing on the podium in all 10 events in which he raced. His winnings included five gold medals (100m, 200m and 400m freestyle, 200m IM and 50m backstroke), one silver (800m freestyle) and four bronze (100m and 200m breastroke, 50m freestyle and 50m backstroke).
Graydon Hughes finished not far behind Benji, with medals in seven of his eight events. The Boys 12 athlete won gold in the 800m freestyle; four silver (100m, 200m and 400m freestyle, and 100m and 200m backstroke) and bronze in the 100m butterfly.
Medalling in four events, Girls 15 swimmer Sonja Ross was another of Pickering’s top achievers at the Mallards meet. Sonja won the 400m and 800m freestyle, placed second in the 200m freestyle, and earned third place in the 400m IM.
Other Pickering medallists at the 2018 Mallards Long Course meet included:
- Maeve Atkinson (Girls 13) – bronze in 50m and 100m butterfly
- Ean Carta (Boys 11) – bronze in 200m IM
- David Harvie (Boys 12) – bronze in 100m freestyle
- Jasmine Jaswal (Girls 13) – silver in 50m freestyle and backstroke
- Madeleine Malesich (Girls 14) – gold in 1,500m freestyle
- Kendra Murray (Girls 10) – Silver in 50m and 100m freestyle
- Dante Reid (Boys 12) – silver in 50m breaststroke
Pickering’s 51 entrants combined to bring home 30 medals, good enough for sixth place out of the 17 clubs – including one from Bermuda – that competed.
PSC swimmers also lopped a total of 1,221.2 seconds from their personal bests. Heading the pack were David Harvie with 100.6 seconds off, Maeve Atkinson (86.30 seconds) and River Saliba (Boys 15, 73.16 seconds).
Full meet results can be found here.